Enjoy your Blackberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars, featuring the wonderful flavour of blackberry extract!
For the Crust:
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
For the Cheesecake Filling:
- 24 oz (680g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
For the Blackberry Swirl:
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp blackberry extract
Prepare the Blackberry Swirl:
- In a small saucepan, combine the blackberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the blackberries break down and the mixture thickens (about 8-10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
- Stir in the blackberry extract and set aside to cool.
Prepare the Crust:
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a 9x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides for easy removal.
- In a bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar, and melted butter. Mix until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Press the mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan to form an even crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, then remove and let it cool while you prepare the filling.
Prepare the Cheesecake Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add in the granulated sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, sour cream, and heavy cream until the filling is smooth and well incorporated.
Assemble and Bake:
- Pour the cheesecake filling over the cooled crust in the baking pan.
- Drop spoonfuls of the blackberry swirl mixture onto the cheesecake filling.
- Use a knife or a toothpick to gently swirl the blackberry mixture into the cheesecake filling, creating a marbled effect.
Bake the cheesecake bars in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the edges are set and the center is slightly jiggly.
Cooling and Chilling:
- Remove the cheesecake bars from the oven and let them cool to room temperature in the pan.
- Once cooled, refrigerate the bars for at least 3-4 hours, or preferably overnight, to allow them to set completely.
- Use the parchment paper overhang to lift the chilled cheesecake bars out of the pan.
- Cut them into squares or bars using a sharp knife.
- Serve the blackberry swirl cheesecake bars chilled, and for an extra touch, you can garnish with fresh blackberries and a dusting of powdered sugar.