Hand Sanitiser Using WHO-Recommended Handrub Formulations
The following recipe is based on the guidelines for local production of WHO-recommended hand rub formulations.
To make 1 L (1000 ml) Isopropyl alcohol-based hand sanitizer, you will need:
- 99.8% Isopropyl Alcohol – 751.5 ml
- 3% Hydrogen Peroxide – 41.7 ml
- 98% Glycerol – 14.5 ml
- Distilled Water or Cooled Boiled Water 192.3 ml
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl or 1000mL Erlenmeyer Flask thoroughly using a spoon or pour all ingredients into a glass or plastic bottle and mix by gently shaking the bottle.
- Close the bottle.
- Keep the bottles closed for 72 hours before use. This allows time for Hydrogen Peroxide to destroy any spores present in the alcohol or the bottles used.
If you are making large quantities at one go, store in smaller containers, so that the alcohol does not evaporate much with each time you use.